Jacqueline is a leading supporter of improving conditions of animal welfare across the EU and beyond. Sadly, the high standards of animal welfare that are often found in the UK are not always repeated in some other EU states. She uses her position as a Vice President of the Animal Welfare Parliament Intergroup to launch campaigns which raise concerns in any areas were she believes animals are being treated inhumanely, whether, for example, in farming, zoos or when being transported.
The Intergroup is the focal point for animal welfare in the European Parliament and provides updates and background information on animal related issues which are being discussed within the Institutions and raises awareness about burning conservation issues which are ongoing at global level.
The Intergroup was one of the first-established and longest running intergroups in the European Parliament. Over the years, it has become not only a forum of debate but also a catalyst for action. It has been at the forefront of new initiatives such as the EU ban on the import and trade of seal products, cat and dog fur from China and many others. It has also taken the lead on raising awareness about the conditions of animals being transported across the EU.
Recent developments - click on the links to each article for more details
- June 2018: Jacqueline Foster MEP urges the EU to follow the UK's lead and introduce a near total ban on the sale of ivory: EU must follow UK ban on the ivory trade
- May 2018 (2): Jacqueline Foster MEP welcomes recognition for Animal Welfare Intergroup as "Parliamentarian of the Month": Work of Parliamentary Intergroup on Animal Welfare to bring about a global cosmetics ban recognised
- May 2018 (1): Jacqueline Foster MEP and Conservative colleagues back calls for cosmetic testing on animals must be banned worldwide: Conservative MEPs back a call for the EU to spearhead a global ban on the testing of cosmetics on animals
- November 2017: Jacqueline Foster MEP calls on the EU to spearhead a global ban on the testing of cosmetics on animals: Time for the EU to spearhead a global ban on the testing of cosmetics on animals.
- April 2017: Jacqueline Foster MEP backs calls for an action plan to tackle the illegal trade in dogs and cats in the EU: Action to tackle the illegal trade in dogs and cats in the EU needed now!
- November 2016: Jacqueline Foster MEP keeps up the pressure in the fight to ban Spanish bullfighting: Continuing the fight to ban bullfighting!
- October 2016: Jacqueline Foster MEP "I was really glad when Catalonia decided to ban bullfighting; I would like to see the practice outlawed across Spain": Catalonia right to ban bullfighting!
- January 2016: Jacqueline Foster MEP calls for action to stop the illegal international trade in wild elephants and improve the welfare of those in captivity: MEPs backs Foster's call to save the Asian Elephants